Sunday 27 November 2011

RIP Gary Speed

Normally I find it quite an arduous process to sit and write a blog about football. Today I’m finding it impossible to not write something, just anything. It was only as I arrived at the Liberty Stadium today that I learned about the passing of Gary Speed, roughly an hour before kick-off.

Other than on the pitch playing for Wales or on the television, I’d only seen Gary Speed just the once close up in person, after Wales’ 2-0 victory over Switzerland at the Liberty Stadium. Obviously this was nowhere near enough time to make an accurate judge of his character but what I did see impressed me greatly. He stopped for countless photographs and to give autograph after autograph following the game outside the ground as several current players took the opportunity to dodge past and onto the bus. He even stayed so long that I had to leave before he had finished with the mob of children begging to shake his hand. Compiled with the years of interviews that I’d seen with him and this encounter, it was safe to say I was impressed with his character and he simply seemed like a nice person, something that seems to be sadly lacking at times at the top level of football.

The terrible news today shocked me far more than I thought it would. I suppose thinking about it; Gary Speed had indirectly been an idol of mine. He was playing even before I started to watch football; I’ve watched and supported him when representing Wales, for years I’ve witnessed his commitment to continue to be a top class player and professional at every club he’s played for.

The atmosphere at the Liberty was the most peculiar I’ve ever experienced. The crowd fell completely silent several minutes before Kevin Johns compared and led the players in paying their respects, then as the minute silence was started, a spontaneous minute of applause began.  It was actually a brilliantly fitting tribute for a footballer who shone so brilliantly for so many years to every football fan.

I’d love to take an opportunity to say thank you to the Aston Villa supporters who were at the Liberty too. Even if Gary Speed’s death didn’t affect them as directly as it hit me, throughout the match they conducted themselves wonderfully with a class that only the best of football fans can possess.

Please rest in peace Gary, know that you served Welsh football as well as anyone ever and inspired generations of football fans around the world. Please know that you were loved. Most importantly at this horrible time, I pray that his family are safe and are looked after; the thoughts of Swansea City and the world of football are with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment